Monday, May 28, 2007

Khop Chai Der, Vientiane, Laos

I don’t know why I drink here. Every time I come to Khop Chai Der in Vientiane it’s one problem or another. If it’s not a case of missing change or price gouging, I’m stuck next to a know-it-all “world traveler” or one form of crazy or another. So why have I returned so many times to Khop Chai Der?

Well, for one, the eleven-hour happy hour begins at 9am – yes, that’s correct, 8,000kip drafts from 9am until 8pm. Another reason is the people watching is great. The clientele ranges from 80 year olds with 20 year old wives to confused backpackers just of the bus wondering if the food is safe to eat (of course it’s safe, it’s one of the most prominent locations in Vientiane).

I’m not sure of the history of the place. My guess is a Euro ex-pat with a background in Hotel Food & Beverage saved up his quid, stole a bunch of waiter’s jackets and headed off to Laos. In the end, I salute the efforts of Khop Chai Der because the ambiance is fine, the location central and if you can get over the frighteningly similar energy of a tourist trap Salty Dog on the Jersey Shore, it’s not bad. Also, did I mention the happy hour?

No comments: